Just as big as our 50th anniversary, is the fact that it coincides with the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, England! So JumboTron television screens will be broadcasting coverage of our track & field superstars across the island, at both festive and cultural celebration venues so you can party and not miss a beat on our medal hunt!
|L-R: Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake|
But people seem unaware of the distinctions among the many options going on, and where they are happening...Jamaica been celebrating all year!
Jamaicans from near and far are headed home by the thousands, as well as their friends, families, and just tourist visitors as well, for by far the largest, most exuberant, most exciting celebrations on the island: all-inclusive "Weekend" parties that give you access to a string of themed celebrations for a single, value-for-your-money price. These celebrations generally fall on the weekend nearest to the Emancipation/Independence dates of August 1 and August 6. For the 50th year of Independence, 2012, the weekend is August 3-6. Monday August 6 is the equivalent of the USA's 4th of July. These events draw insane crowds from all over the world, but no year is more attractive than the 50th!
$190 USD ALL-INCLUSIVE
TAKES ONLINE PAYMENT FROM WEBSITE VIA PAYPAL
(Full name: Appleton Temptation Isle Independence Weekend)
$235 USD ALL-INCLUSIVE or
$412 USD VIP ALL-INCLUSIVE
TAKES ONLINE PAYMENT FROM WEBSITE VIA E-TICKET VENDOR
(Full name: Smirnoff Dream Weekend) ...it's a week in 2012 for the 50th celebrations!
SPF Weekend, August 3-6, - Ocho Rios, St. Ann (age 21+)
$140 USD ALL-INCLUSIVE EXCEPT CATAMARAN CRUISE or
$168 USD ALL-INCLUSIVE INCLUDING CATAMARAN CRUISE
TAKES EMAIL PAYMENTS USING CREDIT CARD INFO OR WESTERN UNION
(Full name: Summer Playground Fantasy Weekend)
|Caribbean Fashion Week 2012, Kingston, Jamaica|
from Attitude collection by Jamaican designer Ashley Martin
With Emancipation Day on August 1, and Independence Day on August 6, it's a month of special things to do in Jamaica. 2012 will mark the 50th anniversary of Jamaica's Independence. The culture of the island is on display in August more than in any other month, and the whole country is in a party mood!
- Jamaica Jump Up - Black River Business and Culture Day - August 3, 2012, in the streets of Black River. Mento Band, Steel Band, Marching Band, Food, Shopping, Games!
- Flag Raising Ceremony and Independence Celebration, August 6, Independence Park, Black River.
- Jubilee Village Opening - August 1, 2012 Kingston. The traditional ‘Augus Fair’ will be staged during the days followed by a big stage show each night.
- Smirnoff Dream Weekend - More great parties in Negril. www.negrildreamweekend.com
- Denbigh Agricultural Show - the most celebrated agricultural show in Jamaica. Denbigh Show Grounds in Clarendon.
- Mello Go Roun - August 2,2012. Concert featuring the best of Jamaica's Festival of the Performing Arts, Kingston
- World Reggae Dance Championships, August 4, 2012, Kingston
- Grand Gala - August 6, 2012. National Stadium, Kingston.
- Western Jamaica Independence Street Parade and Gala, St. James
Information courtesy http://www.visitjamaica.com/Jamaica50.aspx
Information courtesy http://jam50.org/events/2012-08/ (go to the site link and hover over each event for a detailed description!)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMAICA!